A Place to Bark and Meow Blog by Bernie Berlin

Monday, November 03, 2008
Gotta LOTTA LOve!!!
"God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow in them" 
~Author Unknown



I know, Halloween was a few days ago...
But I couldn't help but share this picture with you!!!  
Matt is quite smitten with Beulah and we love Matt!!!  
He is an amazing young man, secure in his manhood as we can tell, who is also a very talented artist.  (((Yes, I know I owe you some canvases, Matt)))
I have to board many of my dogs when I am out of town and he is one of the guys who takes care of them while I'm gone.
I'm not sure where the time has gone, but is has flown by.. 
The year is almost over!!!  But also with time, we have saved alot of animals this year:) 

Below are some of our BIG BABIES that have been here for quite a bit..
We move the majority of our dogs out in 3-5 weeks, but in the case of these poor darlings, they have been here 5 months or more..
All of these dogs are really loves and deserve to have their own homes, peoples beds, etc.
Please pass this blog post along to others in hopes that someone may be looking for a fabulous BIG dog:)

"Beulah" & "Cupcake" are female English Mastiffs.  
They were taken by the Sheriff's department as part of a puppymill/cruelty seizure.  
Click Here if you want to read further about their stories, Channel 5 also has video footage.



These girls are magnificent!!!  
"Beulah" above is approximately 4 years of age.  
More on the shy, reserved, quiet side, she loves to spend quality time with her person. 
Cautious with new people, she warms up quickly.

Now "Miss Cupcake" (previously called Brindle) is just the silliest, lighthearted girl!!
Approximately 2 years of age, she loves everyone!!!  If she sees you walking her way, she will throw herself to the ground belly up, waiting for a tummy rub:)


"Roxy" is a Catahoula/mix.  
Yes I know she looks like a Rottweiler, lab mix with a funny blue eye. 
Approximately 4-5 years of age, she has had a very hard life, living on a short chain, too many litters of puppy and malnourishment before she came here.
Great dog with people, fabulous!!!  Just does not like to share her food with other dogs.  
She was starved for so long, that she is very possessive over food, but only with dogs, people are no problem.  So she needs to go to an only dog home.  I love her, she gives me lots of kisses back!!!




And of course the picture below is of  me and my boyfriend "Pokey" he is quite the Casanova:)
This picture was taken earlier this year in the spring.  A Great Pyrenees/ Pointer mix.
He is a strong silent type.  
Loves to give you hugs and kisses and as you can see he is bigger than I.   
I stand 5.1 and he is slouching.   He even loves me when my hair is  messy and I smell like poo:)
Well I did in the picture, I'm pretty sure.  Was cleaning up after the pups and rearranging kennels.
Pokey is pretty close to 2 years of age, but because he is a very HUGE mixed breed, he is still here. Great dog!!!   I hope someone takes the chance to give him a home, you won't be disappointed...


We do have alot of fun around here, but don't think it's not work.  
It is a ton of hard work, many times quite gross and stinky:)  
But with moments that touch my heart, everyday!!!
The pictures speak a thousand words..

I need to go to bed, but have so much computer work to catch up on, I don't know where to begin.  I am overdue with my book deadlines and teaching proposals.... 
But as always, my life has gone to the dogs and they come first, we have a shelter to finish and I'm packing all the art that will be auctioned off later this month on eBay to help raise the needed funds to finish our building.  
Yes, I am already packing it, so that I'm not late with sending it off:)

We still need to buy a heating/air unit/ kennels, stainless steel cages, exam table, washer/dryer, fridge, grooming tub, blower, cabinets & counters.
But we are almost there, so just a bit more fund raising and we'll be fully functional.  
I just can't believe how far we have come in 9 years, from 30 dogs a year to just about 400 this year.  Just goes to show, where a dream & alot of animal loving friends can take you, to help make a difference...
Blessings, Love & Light to you all...
COMMENTS:
your work amazes me - like I told you on twitter - your soul has a very special place - your kindness is amazing!! keep doing what you do - take care of you
Ellie
 
I'm in love with all the BIG dogs. Pokey is adorable! Thank you for taking such good care of all of them. Barb
 
Big dogs are THE best and those babies are just so gorgeous! I hope they all find wonderful, forever homes SOON...... they truly deserve it!
 
What a great blog!

:)

Holly
 
All those big dogs are so sweet! I wish I could just take all of them as I LOVE big dogs the most!

Sounds like all your hard work and dedication is paying off Bernie. Good for you. You and all the animals are always in my prayers and thoughts.

Jaime
 
Had to make a post about what I read in Best Friends Nov/Dec. issue.....
Saudi Arabia Bans Public walking of pets.
Violators found outside with their pets will have their beloved poodles and other furry companions confiscated by agents of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice, the official name of the religious polices, tasked with enforcing Saudi Arabia's strict Islamic code.
The commission's general manager, Othman al-Othman, said the ban was ordered because of what he called "the rising phenomenon of men using cats and dogs to make passes at women and pester families" as well as "violating proper behavior in public squares and malls."
The prohibition may be more of an attempt to curb the owning of pets, which conservative Saudis view as a sign of corrupting Western influence, like the fast food, jeans and pop music that have become more prevalent in the kingdom. Having pets has never been common in the Arab world, though it is increasingly fashionable among the upper class in Saudi Arabia and other countries, such as Egypt.
This made me mad, sad and outraged. We are so fortunate to live in a country that reveres what is appalling in some countries. They simply do not know what they are missing to be loved by a furry companion. My heart hurts for the poor unfortunate animals born in Saudi Arabia.
 
I lost the comment I left....boohoo! Anyhoo, there are new pics of ChiChi and her new baby kitten on my Flickr. http://flickr.com/photos/mzbella/

I'm sending your link to the vet that I adopted the kitties from - I bragged all about you and your faboo work!

xoxo
Bella
 
Hi!It has been a while since my last visit but I do not forget your place!Loved that photo of you and that big dog!Yesterday a dog bite a child in the south(Algarve).Now when that happens it is all over news.He was out on the street and and I do not know further detais...People must be more responsible,that's what I think!
 
I loved our Gentle Giant,the sweetest Irish Wolfhound. Living with these big ones is wonderful. They steal your heart with there gentleness.
How lucky you are to help these guys find their FOREVER HOMES.
You are special.
Please give us an update on the shelter.Winter is near.
 
I am a HUGE fan of big dogs too! and these guys look adorable. I'm a volunteer with a couple of Mastiff rescues and I'm fostering a wonderful special needs Neo right now. It's really hard work but the rewards are amazing. Check out the website dedicated solely to our foster baby: www.bellabellisimo.com. I hope you think she's as adorable as I do!!

Your new facility sounds like it's really coming along!! Congrats!!! It is so exciting. It might be exhausting now, but just wait until it's done -- woo hoo!!!
 
Hi Bernie,

Those dogs are awesome! You are incredible too! I love what you are doing for the dogs. It is especially important to help the bigger dogs and the black dogs since they are the least likely to be adopted.
I have 2 huge rescued labs that are incredible with my 3 small kids. I love big dogs and honestly feel my kids are less likely to be bitten by a big dog--they aren't as nervous as the little ones.
Best of luck with your fundraising. I can't wait to hear the great news that it's finally finished!
 
Aww I so hope some people come along soon and fall in love with those hunks of furry love. It must be so great to see them going to their forever homes Bernie.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

products
medical supplies needed
previous posts
archives
important links
other blogs


A Place to Bark is a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit, tax-exempt charitable organization. Donations are tax deductible.

web statistics Blog Widget by LinkWithin