A Place to Bark and Meow Blog by Bernie Berlin

Monday, December 31, 2007
The New Year "2008"
Your mind can focus on fear, worry, negativity, or despair..
Or is can focus on Confidence, opportunity, solutions, optimism and success..
You decide!!
-Don Ward



HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
It is another year...
Eeek, that also means I will be another year older:)
Wrinkle, crinkles and grins!!!
Amazing how time flies..
I remember being in a catholic grade school and staring at the huge clock that hung over the door, wondering how time could go so slow.
The older I get, the faster time seems to go. So much to do and always fighting the clock.

I've learned to accept, that I do, what I can do and try not to focus on what I can't.
If you focus on the negative, it breaks your spirit and clutters your mind.
While the words written sound easy, the actual task of focusing on the moment, doing what you can without guilt, is always a challenge of growth.
Who would have thought at 42 I would still be growing up:) Or better yet, I never thought I would be 42!!!

I remember years past, New Years Eve celebrations, black tie affairs, being full of the holiday spirit so to speak, while dancing the nite away, dinners in my home with our friend and french chef Pierre who always put on a first class meal.
Our house was always full of people, with laughter and smiles all nite long...
Those are memories that will live on in my heart forever and make me smile.
While times have changed, New Years in my heart has not. My life has changed, as all of ours do...
Gone to the dogs!! Happily and joyfully!!
With every season, life is a journey, a path of growth, retrospection, a challenge to better ourselves and become comfortable in our own skin, to love deeper and live richer more spiritually fufilled lives.

The animals have taught me that and you all have taught me, that good does live in the world, that perfect strangers can become your best friends. A love for God's creatures links us together, wanting a better future for each and every animal.
I am very proud to say we have rescued over 400 animals this year!!
I never ever could have done it without your help and your kind words.
Your comments, e-mails, letters and donations have made it possible for me to make a difference for the animals.
I do grow weary & overwhelmed some days, but every comment and kind word helps to recharge me to go on..
We all do our part, each and every one of us, acts of kindness that go beyond the season, teaching your children that animals are living creatures that need us, educating them to be the responsible pet owners of the future and why they should never buy a dog from a puppy store, when there are so many that need to be rescued.
I thank each and every one of you that read my blog and have been with me on this journey, you are my Angels!!

As we go into "2008" I plan on slowing down just a bit, to rest myself and get caught up on year end things, my art auction which I have been wanting to get up and running, I'm hoping for February to have everything listed.

I will be going to CHA in February and will also be attending a seminar at the same time at the Helen Woodward Foundation

This is where my art and the animals can work hand in hand, my traveling enables me to do more, learn more and in time have my shelter built. I soooo need a shelter here on the property, but for now we'll do the best we can.
The "Zoline Foundation" which is my primary sponsor has agreed to do a matching grant for "2008" to help us with our shelter. So I'm really excited about that, more details to come..

I also have cut my teaching schedule down, to pratically nothing for the year, but need the time to work on writing my new books, magazine articles and making ornaments.
While my lifestyle traveling sounds fun, it is exhausting being on the road so much, I need to work on finding some balance this year. I will miss going to Cortona Italy to teach and Art Unraveled, but I just can't do it all..
"2009" I will plan on getting back on the road teaching, but for this year I am going to try to slow down a bit, if that is possible:)

I know many of you have also asked about Jeff. He has been very ill this past year and every day life is a struggle for him.
He is a huge help, sitting with and working with, the frightened, unsocialized animals who need one on one attention.

This little guy is "Dugan" he is a male Maltese. Poor darling is probably one of the worst matting , flea and tick infestation cases I have ever seen.
We had to sedate him to groom. It was very painful, but it's done now. He looks and feels so much better as you can tell!! Only about a year, at most 2 years old, he is love starved and will need some clothes for a bit.







These cuties are "Woody" & "Pearl". Funny Pugs!! How can you not love Pugs, they just make you smile:)
Pearl is female approximately 4-5 and Woody is male approximately 7-9 years of age. Great with kids, other animals and love everyone!!







These two beautiful purebred Border Collies are soooo sweet, but very shy and scared. They truly stole my heart..
I spent New Years Eve at the pound. The picture at the top of the page and the two below were taken at the pound.
They are going to keep these guys for me till I get back from my transport on Thursday. They came from a breeder who deemed them unworkable dogs and left them at the pound to be put to sleep. I have heard from others that his training techniques are one of a heavy hand and what many would consider abusive. I just find it sad that time after time I find his dogs at the pound, to be put to sleep because they won't work livestock. I know many a city dweller that would love a non working Border Collie. Actually I have a couple of Border Collies from this same breeder who are living in Chicago and doing very well.

This is "Jilly" she is a female, approximately 2-3 years of age.



This is "Jongo". Male approximately 2-3 years of age.



This is "CeeCzar" he is a male Hound Mix. Approximately 8-10 weeks old. Busy, smiley and lots of spunk!!



These are the three Amigas. Too funny these girls are approximately 10-12 weeks old. Pit Bull/Lab/Hound mixes.
Sweet and loving!! Don't let those stories about the bully breeds scare you. It is all in how much time you put into the dogs and the training they receive. Too precious for words.



This is "Sparrow" a female Shihtzu/Maltese Mix, the best we can figure. 6 pounds, approximately 1-3 years of age.
Alpha in personality. She loves her owners, but is very fearful of new people. Fine with cats, adult only home.



These little guys are Shepherd/chow/mixes. Fun and loving, we also have their mom. 8-10 weeks old.
Yes, I know.. Not the most flatter photo, tried to cut most of me out. But I was pretty sick, so hence the jammies and hoodie:)



There are so many more here, but I just never can find the time to post all the pictures..
I will be on the road Thursday to Chicago to transport and will be back in Tennessee on Saturday.
A stop in Wisconsin on Friday to deliver some cats to my friend Debbie and to get an over due haircut.
Also, to stop in and discuss plans with my friend Kim Nugent about her upcoming art retreat in October of "2008".
Gotta run, tons to do..

But please if you read my blog, post a comment so I can view your blogs when I get a moment.
I know many of you read from all over the world. I am amazed and wonder how you found me...
I want to try to get to know many of you that read, for I am flattered that you visit us here!!



I wish you all the BEST Life possible for "2008"!! May all your wishes and dreams come true..
Lets keep fighting for the animals and looking for the day that all adoptable animals are adopted and not needlessly put to sleep.
Love and Light to you all,
Bernie
COMMENTS:
Bernie, thank you for all you do and who you are. The world is blessed to have someone as amazing as you. We hope 2008 holds peace, love and more happiness than you can handle. Happy New Year to you and yours.
 
Bernie, hon, we love you!! You are an amazing spirit and such a big hearted soul. The world is a much better place with someone like you in it!

I'm sorry I missed seeing you while you were in MA. It has been hectic while I was here and we had some family things pop up (especially that day I was going to give Marie a buzz about us getting together)...

Just sending you warm wishes for a safe, happy, healthy, prosperous, joy filled New Year!!
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR and all best wishes for a year full of creative dreams coming true - to you and yours from me and ZNE!!

xoxo - Chel
 
Hello! I don't remember how I stumbled across your blog but I'm glad I did.

The world needs more people like you and so do the animals. I wish you many blessings and best wishes for the new year. All the animals that find their way to you a very lucky indeed.
 
Happy New Year Bernie!! Glad you are feeling better. Keep getting the rest you need!
We are loving Lexi being part of our family. Her momma and daddy brought her to our house today and we went with a bunch of friends on a 2 hour walk in the new snow. She loves the snow (and all the attention!). What a wonderful girl she is. We are so thankful you saved her and that she came our way.
I found your blog just over a year ago... and remember well the Christmas time story of "Noel" last year.... and now one of your adorable saved babes is my grand-dog... living here in western Massachusetts. Yeah!!
 
Bernie, a Happy New Year to you and Jeff and all of the critters! I hope 2008 will be a bit easier on you both!! You are such an inspiration to us all. I hope you're feeling better.

Sandi(sugarbushfarm)
 
Happy New Year, Bernie! You are, indeed, one of the most beautiful people out there. :)
 
Dugan is such a cutie! It is good that you have decided to take a small break from the crazy life. I wish you the best in 2008. Thank you you for sharing everything you do with us. It is such a treat to read your blog.

Amie
 
Bernie.
Your stories and your work bring tears, smiles and light to my day.

I made a small donation for Dugan. Well, really, for whatever or whoever needs it. But, Dugan's pictures really cried out to my pocketbook!

The donation is in honor of our little rescue Maltese, Viper, who brought purpose to our lives and whose unbreakable spirit inspires us daily.

I know Dugan will have a successful journey back to health and happiness. Lucky will be the person Dugan decides to adopt :)

Happy New Year Bernie.
Steph, Scott, Viper and Gracie
 
Bernie I so admire you and thank you for the work you do. You encourage me here in Australia.
 
Bernie, I always read your blog, and I'm so grateful for what you're doing for our animal friends. I have your Six Degrees badge on my blog - I hope it helps, but I don't get much traffic. :-) Thank you again for all your hard work for the little fur people. Me and my fur person thank you.
 
Wishing you all the best in 2008! You are truly an inspiration. Hugs to all the puppies & kitties you're currently caring for, as well. Jessica
 
Hi Bernie...beautiful post and sweet dog faces to brighten my morning.

Happy New Year to you! xox
 
All the best to you and the furry four footed angels you take such great care of! I wish I could do more to help -- but wanted to very sincerely offer to provide food, shelter (I have a pretty nice little guest room!) and lots of coffee and conversation (or maybe just a nice long nap!) on your way through Chicago if you ever need/want it! There are three canine kids here who would love to keep you company... and we'd love to offer some of the hospitality in return that you so generously offer your little animal friends! Please just email me @ nestinginstincts@mac.com if you'd ever like to stop by! 'Til then, best of luck on your journey -- prayers and love to Jeff, and all the goodness your heart can hold in 2008!
 
Happy New Year Bernie!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you do. You mean so much to me and to all the other animal supporters and lovers out there. You are so special. I love this latest post and all the wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing and I wish you all the best in '08.

Hugs,
Holly & Albie (my beloved rescue boy)
 
Bernie,

I honestly don't remember how I came upon your blog, but...well...here I am. I hope 2008 is full of blessings and a little rest for you. I admire you greatly for your work. The W family here in Texas are huge fans of yours and appreciate the work you do. You're an angel in skin to these little creatures. We can't do the work you're doing, but we always make it a point to get rescue pets for our household. We look forward to teaching our child about the blessing animals are in our lives.

God bless you!

Andi
 
Hi MOM!

Scooter, here. My other Mom was reading your Blog while I was lounging on her lap and I saw your beautiful face. I speak for all my fur/hair bearing brothers and sisters when I say "Thank you!" to you for your tireless work to rescue us and unite us with our forever families, sometimes at the expense of your own health and well being. You have touched and changed so many lives, you are truly our own personal angel!

Please give Jeff my love. I'll never forget the comfort of his arms.

Please take care of of yourself and get well quickly.

LOVE!!!!
SCOOTER
 
Happy new Year, Bernie!
Hugs to your and your critters!

I found your blog last year thru Claudine's blog. I love to read about the work you do, and am in awe that you do what you do, day in and day out.

I was very happy to add your badge to my blog, to be able to help in at least that small way.
Blessings to you!
~ Tracyw,
Summer Sea herbs
 
May 2008 be good to you and your many babies. I hope that life returns to you in kind the goodness you share with your rescue work.
 
A big hello from Louisiana.have a safe trip.Hello Jeff take care.What would the little ones do without your care. Love to both of you.
Dugan seems to know how handsome he is in his new coat. Thank you for saving all these guys.
 
I feel selfish for just now posting after reading for about a year now. I posted once before, but it's been too long. To read that you are encouraged and gain momentum by our comments, I will post more often. :)

Every time I come here I read through teary eyes and then leave with feelings of even more love for our 3 animals, and a love and admiration for you. You are a beautiful person inside and out, and your joy, kindness, and love radiate through your pictures and words. Thank you for letting us have a glimpse into your life.

~Ashley B. in Dallas
 
Bernie - I visit your wonderful blog regularly and leave feeling so inspired. Inspired by you and your big and compassionate heart. And inspired by the bravery and adaptability of the beautiful animal souls you share.

You are doing so much to help unwanted and mistreated animals. Bless you!

Dot (from Australia).
 
Happy New Year to you, too, Bernie! I hope 2008 brings you everything you need.

-tracey
 
Hey Bernie,
So excited to hear that you'll be at CHA. When the time gets closer let's make plans to visit!
Can't wait--be well, see you soon,
Jenn Mason
 
Happy New Year Bern :) I've been thinking ALOT about you these past couple months! I went back to work in Nov. (after 15 years off it was a HUGE adjustment), but I have W & F off and would love a long chitty-chat with you on the teley! Can't wait to for our class together at ArtFest :)

xox
jen
 
just found your site today through a posting on Craigslist. What wonderful and important work you are doing! Thank you for it. Best of Luck and Wishes and Regards -
amy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

products
medical supplies needed
previous posts
archives
important links
other blogs


A Place to Bark is a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit, tax-exempt charitable organization. Donations are tax deductible.

web statistics Blog Widget by LinkWithin